Question: Performance of Shunt for Hydrocephalus at High Altitudes

Hello! I am a recent survivor of a Severe TBI. I acquired Hydrocephalus and now have a VP Shunt, set at the lowest (thus hardest pumping) setting. Is high altitude safe with a Shunt alleviating Hydrocephalus or for brain health after a Severe TBI? I have heard tell that Shunts stop functioning at high altitudes. So far, all Neuro-surgeons I’ve asked respond that they are unsure; they’ve never been asked this before. Yes, I know I can fly. Planes are pressurized to about 8,000 feet for passenger safety. I am historically a mountaineer and live in Washington State. Mountain summits are generally 12,000 to 14,000+ feet. Can I go that high? Also, I have a crush on Nepal and would like to return there. Trekking in the Himalayas keeps you above 10,000 feet for several weeks. Everest Base Camp is 18,500 feet. Can I return there?

Hello @LindsayCaron. This is not a question that can be answered based on Allen Institute resources; however, if anyone in the community has recommendations, they could reply or message you privately.

Thank you, Jeremy!