Reproducing "differential gene search" via API for mouse brain ISH data

Hi,

I am in love with the “Differential search” function for the ISH data of the mouse brain and I wish to write a Python script that reproduces the search (eg) below programmatically.

I then found this very helpful doc that allows me to do so, but my results are not consistent with the website (I find more genes than when I query via the Allen website, although structures and dataset are the same).

I think that this is due to the threshold parameters: in the query to system :: mouse_differential I have 4 different thresholds: start/end threshold for either target or contrast. In the website, I only have one slider that controls one expression threshold that ranges from 0 to 7.

1. Could you please tell me how to reproduce differential gene search via URL/API that are consistent with Allen website?
  2. I guess that means, could you tell me the 4 values of the thresholds that you use in Allen website ?
  3. Would you recommend any particular threshold value to get biological significant results?

Thank you very much,

2 Likes

Actually I found the answer (and that was simple). By clicking the button I realized that the URL

https://mouse.brain-map.org/search/show?page_num=0&page_size=20&no_paging=false&domain1=8&domain2=985&domain1_threshold=0,50&domain2_threshold=1,50&image_set=P56&search_type=differential

contains the thresholds. The default values are:
target: start 0, end 50
contrast: start 1, end 50.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for following up with the solution!

I’m sure it will be appreciated by anyone else digging into the API.