What does cell reporter status indicate?

Dear community,

I am currently interested in studying the differences of electrophysiological features of neurons according to their cell type (Excitatory/ Inhibitory, VIP, Sst, etc…). To do so I would check the mouse_line information in the cell metadata, which indicates the mouse line from which the neuron has been recorded. But I don’t understand in the cell’s metadata, what does the ‘cell_reporter_status’ indicate? For example with cell 341459814 whose line name is Pvalb-IRES-Cre and reporter status is ‘positive’, does that mean that the recorded cell can be labelled as Pvalb cell (in opposition to cell 479010903 which is also Pvalb-IRES-Cre but whose cell reporter status is negative)?

In a more general point of view, if I want to study only Pvalb neurons, should I select only the cells whose line_name is Pvalb-IRES-Cre and whose the cell_reporter_status is positive, and not consider the cells whose cell_reporter_status is negative?

I hope it is the good place to ask.
Thank you for any help you can give me!

Best regards,
Julien Ballbé

The cell reporter status tells whether the expressed reporter (typically the fluorescent protein tdTomato) is present (“positive”) or absent (“negative”). So yes, cell 341459814 is a fluorescently labeled cell from the Pvalb-IRES-Cre line crossed to a reporter line, and cell 479010903 is not fluorescently labeled.

So you are correct that you generally want to look for cell reporter status positive cells in a Pvalb-labeling transgenic line and not the negative cells if you want to find a population of Pvalb+ cells. There of course could be Pvalb+ cells that are reporter negative that use non-Pvalb transgenic driver lines, but you’d have to use other information to infer their identity (like electrophysiology/morphology).

Thank you very much for the clarification!!
Best regards,

Julien