Interpolation method of the Average Template along the antero-posterior axis (from 100 µm to 10 µm)

Hello,

In your paper from 2020 The Allen Mouse Brain Common Coordinate Framework: A 3D Reference Atlas, you mentioned that:

We constructed an average template brain at 10 µm voxel resolution by interpolating high resolution in-plane serial two-photon tomography images with 100 µm z-sampling […].

I have been searching in the paper as well as in the supplementary material, the related technical white paper and the community forum but I did not find anything regarding the method used to perform such an interpolation on the average template, which allowed you to increase the data tenfold along the antero-posterior axis and obtain a final isotropic volume at 10 µm.

Please forgive me if didn’t look hard enough, but if you could enlighten me on the method you used to perform such an interpolation, it would be very helpful.

Many thanks for your insight,
Best,
Sebastien

Image interpolation is use to upsample a lower resolution volume to a higher resolution volume.

We make use of the ITK software package for this. Please take a look at section 3.10 for some background explanation of the process. (ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf)